RABBINIC SEXUAL MISCONDUCT SURVIVOR

INFORMATION AND SUPPORT - YOU ARE NOT ALONE

Saturday, June 14, 2008

THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW

I've been a part time college student for the past few years, working on my Paralegal degree. I recently graduated with honors and I am now a Paralegal. I recently wrote a research paper titled, "Clergy Sexual Abuse: The Silent Epidemic". I am using this paper and other resources to lobby the California Legislature to amend the existing law that makes it a felony for mental health practitioners to have sex or engage in sexualized behavior with their patients, to include clergy who perform pastoral counseling as unlicensed mental health practitioners. This would mandate clergy pastoral counselors to follow the same professional ethics and code of behavior as licensed mental health practitioners. If this amendment becomes law, any clergy who provide pastoral counseling and then seduce their counselees would be guilty of a felony - the same as a mental health practitioner who seduces a patient. I will keep you updated as to the outcome of my quest to make clergy sexual abuse against the law in California. It's about time - isn't it?

1 Comments:

  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Passion&Happiness said…

    Yes it is about time. I read a recent article called "Catholic clergy sexual abuse meets the civil law" This has been a problem for approximately 15 year. The Ad Hoc Committee has addressed these issues and they are working on them.

    "Believe it or not, agree or disagree, as a society we have failed to protect hundreds of thousands of individuals who have been sexually abused by those in positions of trust and authority. "

    Wonderful post! I believe more people should be combating these issues

    -Yael
    paralegal studies

     

Post a Comment

<< Home