RABBINIC SEXUAL MISCONDUCT SURVIVOR

INFORMATION AND SUPPORT - YOU ARE NOT ALONE

Monday, July 03, 2006

E-MAIL FROM A JEWISH SUPPORTER

This is another message I received from the same supporter. I certainly wish there were many more Jews who understood what RSM is and supported victim/survivors like this person does. I can only pray that these words come true:


Thanks,

Keep up the good work. The wheels of justice turn very slowly, but they do turn. With-in 10 years it will be politically incorrect for any religious institution to accept keeping a clergy sexual offender, whether the offender acts against children or adults.

I applaud your public efforts and publicity against your sexual predator. The Jewish Community is about 5-10 years behind the Catholic Church on the issue of clergy sexual abuse. The internet however is a weapon that can be used to expose and stop clergy sexual offenders and their supporters.

Just an idea for you blog. Include the name of each Rabbi that is aware of the Rabbi that abused you and their excuse for standing idly by and doing nothing or worst supporting this Rabbi. I noticed that the Awareness Center while listing a post for each Rabbinical Sexual Offender, fails to list the names of all the Rabbi's in that Jewish Community that actively and openly include the Rabbi and synagogue in their Community events. Community leaders and Rabbis need to exclude synagogues that maintain and support a sexual predator from all activities and events. Stand strong like Moses.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger ariel lee said…

    Those who stand idly by are just as guilty as the rabbi perpetrator, perhaps even more so. It is sickening to see other clergy, synagogue Board members and executive directors support these men in their wrong-doing. It is sickening to see these rabbis get up on the bimah and preach about the importance of kashrut as if nothing else mattered in living a Jewish life while they blatantly violate vulnerable congregants with their sexual misconduct. It is even more sickening to see their co-clergy (rabbis, cantors), and other synagogue officials give their nod of approval to their behaviour, while villifying the victims, or as I prefer to say, the survivors of their abuse. I agree with Anonymous that a survivor should not avoid going to the shul where the abuse occurred. The survivor has a right to be there more than the rabbi abuser does. And I agree with the comments that as long as the survivor does not go quietly away, it is a constant reminder to the synagogue of their bad behaviour, a constant reminder that they have chosen not to do the right thing. It is the rabbi abuser and the synagogue power structure that is at fault not the abuse survivor. Turning one's back on the survivor is another form of abuse. I would caution the survivors to stay away if they perceive that their life is in danger. Remember these abusers will stop at nothing to satisfy their needs and to ensure they are not caught and held accountable. They will slander and villify their victims. They may even resort to more drastic measures. "Rabbi" Fred Neulander had his wife killed to protect himself. So if a survivor feels she is in a position where her life is threatened then she should stay away.

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger Shoshira said…

    I could not find a more recent post than July but I thought I'd throw this out there.

    What are we doing about Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur? As a conversion candidate, my very first experience with the High Holidays was during the relationship with my abuser. So this is going to be a rough one for me. Like many others (I found out later), he had promised to marry me but only after I converted, and then found a loophole. Now he is on to his next victim.

    Ten Days of Awe...I took them so seriously! Now when I search my life over the past year, I see nothing but heartache and pain, doubt and indecision. I had thought I would be able to forgive him by Yom Kippur but I cannot stop my anger.

    Someone please explain to me why G-d's law places the sin of eating shellfish over sexual indiscretion? I was told by my abuser that the modern interpretation of "adultery" was the Christian one, and it was okay for a married Jew to take a single woman to his bed. Also, there is no "vow" in the Ketuba that says you must be faithful. It is only "divorce insurance for the woman."

    I was also told that "lashon hara" is the worst sin one could commit, and now I realize it is just a way to keep the victim silent. Thank you for telling me that it is a mitzvah to warn others of the danger.

    Raizie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home